Please add Reset To Default Values option for colors/fonts

Suggestions and feature requests.
Bearded Kirklander

Please add Reset To Default Values option for colors/fonts

#1 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 10.09.2008, 23:10

I was messing around with colors in the following menu tree:

Extras > Settings > View > Colors / Fonts

And noticed that I could not find a "Reset To Default Values" button / option on that dialog.

I would like to request that you add such a feature to the product.

It would really help those (like me) who may poke around with wacky color schemes and end up making things worse than the default was.

So, if I could click on a button to set things back to default for colors and fonts, it could keep me from goofing things up. :)

Thank you,

BK

Dreamer
Site Admin

#2 Post by Dreamer » 11.09.2008, 02:27

Support!

clanman

#3 Post by clanman » 19.09.2008, 13:06

Supported.

However, it should not be too hard to reset since the colours are simply controlled by settings in the INI file. Simply remove them and the colours return to default.
Regards

Clanman
Using FreeCommander XE 2022 Build 860 32-bit public on Windows 11

Bearded Kirklander

#4 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 19.09.2008, 13:48

clanman wrote:Supported.

However, it should not be too hard to reset since the colours are simply controlled by settings in the INI file. Simply remove them and the colours return to default.
That is good to know.

I do think it would be nice if we could not only have a reset button but the ability to Import / Export settings as well.

It's these simplifications that many new users could benefit from, I believe, and that may help make the program more accessible to a wider range of users.

I've come to the conclusion that one of the issues standing in the way of wider Linux adoption on the desktop, for example, is the relative complexity of the interface and procedures when compared to Windows or OS X.

Even the "ROOT" concept causes frustration for people who just want to do what they want to do without anything getting in the way.

So if users end up spending a lot of time setting up Custom Columns, Varied Layouts, Tab Configurations, Interface modifications and color choices, I would think making it easy to backup and recall all of those settings would really take the edge off. If you know you can get back to where you were quickly and easily, users may not mind investing the time and energy in customizing the heck out of things.

A "Reset to Default Value" option, especially when working with colors and fonts, can reduce frustration. I swear, it's so easy to just get in over your head and not remember how you got there. Before you know it you have these garish colors assaulting your eyes, and all you want to do is put it back the way it was. I've been there. :)

I like the idea of including some standard color combinations, layouts, columns, etc. The examples of time and date configs that Marek put in make it easy to choose a format you like, and by just looking at how the examples are put together, it's easier for a user to begin to understand the types of customization options available to them, and they may be more willing to experiment and try new things.

And again, if you can just go back to selecting one of the defaults in case you goof up, then no harm is done and I would think the frustration levels would be reduced.

I dunno - maybe I'm just too stuck on this concept. But I remember what it was like when people could step up from Dos 5 to Windows 3.1 and how amazed some of my co-workers were by how much easier it was to do simple things like copy files.

I don't see these types of additions as dumbing down the product, I see them as changes that could open the program up to more novices.

Anyway...

I'm totally diggin' the app and find it harder to be patient when I know what features and changes are just around the corner.

It is so cool to be able to interface with the programmer and the community. Many big companies like Avanquest, who are now the ones in charge of PowerDesk, don't even want to hear feature requests and bug reports from customers.

But Marek is so open minded that it makes you want to get involved because you know that some of your ideas may actually have a chance to make it into the program. It's a nice feeling.

( man, I'm acting like a rambling fanboy, aren't I? )

Wasabi

#5 Post by Wasabi » 20.09.2008, 10:15

I concur wholeheartedly, and I'd like to add that it would be nice to have an "APPLY" button in the colors/fonts menu so tweaks can be seen immediately.