About use with low vision

Discussion, questions and support.
Gloops

About use with low vision

#1 Post by Gloops » 08.04.2023, 06:39

Hello everybody,

It would help that a programmer has a look at the parameters interface with large fonts (I have to use a minimum size of 22). My Windows parameters are 225% for the characters enlargement, 125% for the windows enlargement. This currently resides in the ergonomics section of the Windows parameters in Windows 10.
I shall just take an example, perhaps it is not the best one :

I saw somewhere that for the screen copies somebody advised to launch Free Commander with the options /NewIni=FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
It is not really a very good idea, as FreeCommanderTest.ini resides in the executable path, so this results in a rights refusal message, even for a Windows admin. I imagine it would work after requiring an elevation of privileges, but that is perhaps much for a screen copy.
Anyway, this would not exhibit problems linked to the fonts sizes.

Concerning the question of the tooltips that appear in white on (nearly) white background, for several colour themes, I saw that a solution was found for the donor version. Can we imagine that this will appear on the public version in a near future ?

Karol

Re: About use with low vision

#2 Post by Karol » 08.04.2023, 10:45

Under Settings - View you can define "Dialogs font".

Free4all

#3 Post by Free4all » 29.06.2023, 14:31

Karol wrote: 08.04.2023, 10:45 Under Settings - View you can define "Dialogs font".
I use a custom language file. With that custom language file, a few dialog box strings are cut off due to the label fields in the resource code being too small. I haven't had a chance to test it, but I wonder if increasing the dialog font size will cause a bunch of dialog box strings to be truncated.

Perhaps, where possible, the resource files of the source code can have the dialog box label field sizes increased (in situations where they otherwise will not affect/harm the UI).

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 29.06.2023, 16:24

I use

Windows > Settings > Ease Of Access > Display > Make everything bigger > Change the size of apps and text on the main display > 150%

and

FreeCommander > Tools > Settings > View > General > Dialog fonts > Lucida Console 12

because with bigger values I start running into problems issues like those seen on the screenshot from the initial post; also outside of FC. It used to be worse, but Marek already has fixed most of those issues. But still I wish I could use a bigger font

The only advice / workaround I can give you is to invest in a huge monitor. I myself had replaced still in good condition 21:9 34" 1440p unit for the same one but in version 38" 1600p - and not only have I increased fonts in various programs but also gained more lines in programs like Notepad, which also means that I see now more items in Panels of FreeCommander. And I am awaiting for some matured [OLED] and reasonably priced 40" 2160p model to hit the market