Delete to recycle bin

Bugs and issues.
ags1905

Delete to recycle bin

#1 Post by ags1905 » 18.06.2023, 20:27

Using build 880 on Windows 11.
FC does not know how to properly delete directory trees to recycle bin using it's own method for deleting.

Steps to reproduce:
- set Tools > Settings > File/Folder operations > General > Delete > Use FreeCommander
- delete a directory containing some sub-directories and files
- select option "Send to Recycle Bin" from the dialog window that opens
- try to use Recycle Bin to recover the directory you just deleted
Also, this method is maybe about 8-10 times slower than "Use Windows method" at deleting.

What should happen:
- objects should be deleted in such a way that they are recoverable as a whole structure
- operation should be a lot faster

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Delete to recycle bin

#2 Post by Dreamer » 18.06.2023, 21:07

I think it's not a bug and it can be changed with this option.

https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Delete.html
Use Windows delete method (Vista and later)

If this option is checked and the operating system is Windows Vista or later, items are deleted with the Windows delete method. E.g. if a folder is deleted, the recycle bin shows only the deleted folder.

If this option is not checked, items are deleted with the FreeCommander method. E.g. if a folder is deleted, the recycle bin shows every deleted file.

ags1905

#3 Post by ags1905 » 19.06.2023, 07:11

If it is not a bug, then it definitely is a very cumbersome way of implementing things :)
If this option is not checked, items are deleted with the FreeCommander method. E.g. if a folder is deleted, the recycle bin shows every deleted file.
For me this makes absolutely no sense. What is the practical point in this existing? When and why would users want to see all the files scattered in the Recycle Bin? How can the structure be recovered from there if deleted by mistake? If the objects are sent to Recycle Bin, they should be easily recoverable.

A better implementation would be to have the Windows method as it is now: quick, moves to Recycle Bin, no dialog window for simple delete, simple dialog with Yes/No for shift+delete.

For FreeCommander method: always uses Windows method for deleting, but shows the nice dialog with advanced options we all like. From this dialog the "Use Windows delete method (Vista and later)" should be gone.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 19.06.2023, 18:02

ags1905 wrote: 19.06.2023, 07:11
For me this makes absolutely no sense. What is the practical point in this existing?
I think it's a standard behavior in all/most file managers for about 20 years, I don't like it either, but it's NOT a default option in FC.
A better implementation would be to have the Windows method as it is now: quick, moves to Recycle Bin, no dialog window for simple delete, simple dialog with Yes/No for shift+delete.
It's already possible, it works like with default option, just use option "Use Windows" for Delete in "File/folder operations" tab in settings and disable dialog for delete in Windows settings, just right click the Recycle Bin splitter icon, select "Properties" and disable the option "Display delete confirmation dialog", also use option "Custom size", not option "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin...".
For FreeCommander method: always uses Windows method for deleting, but shows the nice dialog with advanced options we all like. From this dialog the "Use Windows delete method (Vista and later)" should be gone.
If that option should be gone, it should be enabled or disabled always? If disable, it would delete all files individually.

Perhaps just option "Use Windows delete method (Vista and later)" should be enabled by default, to delete whole folder(s) by default, because I don't think that many users know how it works - and those who know it, could just disable it.

BTW Several Delete options are available for any toolbar and for custom keyboard shortcut, more here:

https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Delete.html