Freecommander very slow

Discussion, questions and support.
madoues

Freecommander very slow

#1 Post by madoues » 26.01.2024, 15:54

Hi,
I have been using FreeCommander for a long time now, but the last 2 or 3 years it is getting slower and slower.

Just a right click to see "properties" may take like 5 seconds, or more...
It's not for everything, but many things. I used to have a donor version way back, but updated and now using a recent public version.

Is this normal? Are there any settings that can be changed to improve it?

I am still using it, but if it continues to get even slower, it will be time to look for an alternative.
It would a shame to get to that point as I just love the program and all the features.

Is the donor version any faster?
If yes, I would jump on that right away, but if donating does not improve things for me, what's the point?

I am not familiar as to how these free programs work financially, if programmers can make a decent living of off their work, so pardon me if I am being naive.
In the past, I have been burned many times buying expensive programs ($100 and more, close to $2000 for one) that you can't use, so you are literally chucking money in the garbage.
Now, I tend to look for freeware, but this program is very good, aside from the speed it is worth putting some money into.

Sincerely,
Dan

Timon

Re: Freecommander very slow

#2 Post by Timon » 28.01.2024, 10:50

Donor version has absolutely the same performance as the public version. Please note that it is possible to use the 64-bit donor version (read the terms and conditions carefully)

Perhaps the problem is in the speed of your PC. Disk speed is very important, if you are using an old HDD, consider replacing it with a new SSD.

A detailed description of the steps and what exactly you are doing will also help you identify the problem. When you try to see the properties of a folder, how many files and subfolders are in it, what size it has, is it located on a fixed, removable or a network drive. If you copy files, you use FreeCommander or Windows or external program.

The more information the better

Forez

Re: Freecommander very slow

#3 Post by Forez » 06.04.2024, 13:04

Maybe you would get a speed boost on the account of whatever root problem is your case when going from free 32-bit version to x64 donor. But that is a big maybe and you would need to pay for this maybe

I myself had various issue that disappeared once I started using the 64-bit version