The Layout : irritating details

Suggestions and feature requests.
Merel

The Layout : irritating details

#1 Post by Merel » 22.03.2009, 13:10

I willl need some more time to be able to have a better judgement on this file manager. The first time I ever used FreeCommander was one year ago. For some time I gave it a try (once in a while) , but sorry to say, I was disappointed with each attempt to use it. With this new version, same feeling again.

To be honnest, I agree to consider he layout very good, but some details are just irritating. However I hope I can change my mind.

The most used knob (one parent folder UP) is what one would expect to see at first glance. Not so, one has to search for it ! Why is it a very tiny icon at the right side on both the address bars ? This is the very first impression and ... it irritates the first time user already. Comparing the "UP-function" used in ZTree there is a big difference !

If you want the parent directory, you have to search the "UP icon" where you don't expect it (moving mouse to the right) and aim with the mouse to an icon which is way too small. If you want it bigger ... use for the option to make icons bigger size (in View menu), every icon becomes bigger ... except the one you would like to become bigger.

I have been using many file managers and each has their pros and cons.
The most common error : authors always want to add more features as actually needed to keep things easy to use.

Too many shortkey functions to do things that nobody will ever use.
There is no need to extend the number of features so far that it becomes too heavy on normal usage. So my advice is to keep things simple and handy.

Shortkeys are only handy when you have a program "in your fingers"
But nobody can remember all shortkeys of dozens of programs. Some old programs used to define a user confidence level (1-2-3) to allow users to work with basic/handy/expert levels, depending on the knowledge of program features.

FrizzleFry

#2 Post by FrizzleFry » 22.03.2009, 15:23

you can go up to the parent folder by double-clicking on empty space in the panel/tab or by pressing the backspace key

FC allows you to customize all keyboard shortcuts to your hearts content

Merel

#3 Post by Merel » 23.03.2009, 16:45

FrizzleFry wrote:you can go up to the parent folder by double-clicking on empty space in the panel/tab or by pressing the backspace key

FC allows you to customize all keyboard shortcuts to your hearts content
Thank you FrizzleFry for this information. Those kind of things are basic functions, which are somehow hidden for the first time user, and this is why one can be disappointed at the first use.

I'm sure that after a while everybody can live with a program that can be customized.

My experience is that it is impossible (for my poor brain) to remember all the shortcuts of all programs installed on my PC. Sometimes it happens that one uses a shortkey from another program (by habit) that causes unexpected things to happen (can be dangerous).

On the other hand, I like basic operations to be visible and available for the mouse at the location where they naturally are expected to be found.

Fad

#4 Post by Fad » 26.03.2009, 21:54

Don`t forget the "Go Up Strip" on either side of each panel (extreme left & extreme right)

invisible by default, but can be customised in the settings to be wider.

A feature from the old S.I.D. file manager, so you now have 4 options to go up a level :D

I am hopeless at remembering shortcuts in programs, in FC I use only one and that I had to remap to be the one I remember from TurboNavigator. :roll:

carls

#5 Post by carls » 20.04.2009, 15:53

Fad wrote:Don`t forget the "Go Up Strip" on either side of each panel (extreme left & extreme right)

invisible by default, but can be customised in the settings to be wider
Excuse me for butting in, but would you please give me directions to this setting? Can't seem to find it anywhere in Settings (am not sure what it's called or what to look for).

TIA

Carls

uwee

#6 Post by uwee » 20.04.2009, 20:24

look at Extras --> Settings --> View --> "Width of Go Up Strip"

If you set the width of the strip to a value greater 0 pixel the strips are visible at the extreme outer left and right parts of the window....
Uwe

Wasabi

#7 Post by Wasabi » 18.05.2009, 08:38

FrizzleFry wrote:you can go up to the parent folder by double-clicking on empty space in the panel/tab
This is a feature that, by now, seems so natural!

I'm sure I'm not the only FC user that has been stuck using a PC without it and double-clicked an empty space in Explorer only to have the computer mock me with its complete lack of response. :oops: