MS Word and Edit New File (SHIFT-F4)

Discussion, questions and support.
Rense

MS Word and Edit New File (SHIFT-F4)

#1 Post by Rense » 29.06.2009, 14:40

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up FC to edit a new file with MS Word if I type *.doc as the new file name in the "edit new file" dialog. I defined Word as the editor for .doc files, and editing existing fiels (F4) works fine, but when I try to create and edit a new file, Word complains that it needs a converter to open the file. Apparently, it wants to edit the file as "plain text."

Any ideas on how to solve this?

matera

#2 Post by matera » 01.07.2009, 06:29

Free Commander's "create new file" command only creates a new plain text file. Word is only doing what it is told. A button in a Favorite tools toolbar that displays a dropdown menu of the Windows "New" file list is probably the most convenient way to get an actual new Word doc. It's a little faster than using the right-click context menu. If your "New" menu is too cluttered with things you never need, you can edit it with Tweakui. Just find the right version for your version of Windows.

Rense

#3 Post by Rense » 01.07.2009, 11:38

I see... tnx for the reply.
matera wrote:A button in a Favorite tools toolbar that displays a dropdown menu of the Windows "New" file list is probably the most convenient way to get an actual new Word doc.
But how do I make such a button? I can see how to make a button starting a program, but for a drop-down menu it's not so obvious.

matera

#4 Post by matera » 02.07.2009, 01:11

Go to this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=2026
-- find the link in the first post, and download the PDF file. It will tell you everything you need to know :D

Rense

#5 Post by Rense » 02.07.2009, 09:17

Great! Now I found out that I was not using the latest version of FC, that's why I could find the entry for drop-down menus :).
It seems however that hotkeys do not work for new buttons to drop-down menus, even though you can define them...is this a bug? If not consider this a feature request :).

But actually I now found an even more convenient way: there is already a "new item" command to the drop-down menu by default, you don't have to create your own! It is not in any menu but you can find it in the keyboard shortcuts list (and define a shortcut, obviously). Problem solved!

afh

Re: MS Word and Edit New File (SHIFT-F4)

#6 Post by afh » 01.09.2015, 16:41

Is it possible to have the new created file encoded in UTF-8 and not ASCII (as it is now)?