How to avoid confirmation window in Vista?

Discussion, questions and support.
carls

How to avoid confirmation window in Vista?

#1 Post by carls » 18.08.2009, 05:19

When in dual window mode and want to update files in another directory, the copy command results in a new Confirmation window popping up for each file to be copied. It says:

"There is already a file with the same name in this location. Click the file you want to keep"

Follows a sequence of file descriptors. Now to actually copy the files you want you have to:

1. Mouse to the bottom of the Vista confirmation window and click on "Do this for the next X conflicts" and then

2. Mouse to the top of the window to "Copy and Replace"

Or, keep clicking on the top box in the window until all the files are copied.

There are no shortcuts or ways around this mousing up and down and/or endless clicking. It's annoying and takes time.

Is there any way to turn this confirm window off or make it more like
XP's simple "OK to overwrite all files" confirmation?

Any tips much appreciated.

Carls

PS: Yes, I've change FreeCommander Settings to no confirm and saved them. No joy.

ralfso

#2 Post by ralfso » 28.08.2009, 07:38

Try rhe forum search for supercopier or teracopy to change the standard windows copyroutine.
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545

matera

#3 Post by matera » 30.08.2009, 04:11

The problem may be that FC is writing to one INI file and reading another, because of Vista's UAC (User Access Control) virtualization. If you have set FC to load its INI from its install folder, try changing it to "Specific for user".

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit now, but I cheat. I turned off UAC before installing anything--not because of the nags, but to avoid the config problems with my favorite programs. I use a standard account for everyday tasks, especially Internet surfing, as a precaution. It's easy enough to switch to an admin account when I want to install programs or do certain file operations. Quite a change from my old cozy XP, but it's getting comfortable.

carls

#4 Post by carls » 04.09.2009, 22:45

Cool ! Thanks very much.

Although it's a bit off topic, would you be kind enough to spell out just how you switch from std to admin and back in Vista? I've ended up just disabling UAC - knowing that's dumb. But not being able to delete files I've created as a std user gets too tedious...

Can't wait to try out your strategy.

Regards,

Carls
matera wrote:The problem may be that FC is writing to one INI file and reading another, because of Vista's UAC (User Access Control) virtualization. If you have set FC to load its INI from its install folder, try changing it to "Specific for user".

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit now, but I cheat. I turned off UAC before installing anything--not because of the nags, but to avoid the config problems with my favorite programs. I use a standard account for everyday tasks, especially Internet surfing, as a precaution. It's easy enough to switch to an admin account when I want to install programs or do certain file operations. Quite a change from my old cozy XP, but it's getting comfortable.

matera

#5 Post by matera » 13.09.2009, 05:34

Ah well, I've been running into the same nag dialog now that I'm doing some updating of files. It's a basic Vista thing, not related to FC, so I guess there's no way around it.

jackthomas

need to know

#6 Post by jackthomas » 16.09.2009, 05:15

I have just taken delivery of an ACER laptop.(Vista Home premium). I was told to create system recovery discs(to restore system to factory stage) and drivers and appliction restore disc before using the computer.
My questions:
* It it OK to do so after having used the omputer (installed some programs, etc.)?
* If I update Windows, how do I incorporate the updates into these discs ?

Thanks.
[url=http://www.e-datapro.net]data entry india[/url]

matera

#7 Post by matera » 17.09.2009, 04:05

I doubt you can do that. Not with the manufacturer's proprietary mess, anyway. And slipstreaming Vista is apparently not so easy.

But make those disks! The recovery partition on the hard drive could become corrupted, or you might have to replace the drive, and then at least you will be able to reinstall your operating system. Any software you have installed will make no difference, the recovery disks are only to reinstall what came with the computer originally.

The driver disk is the only one that did me any good -- I had to buy a real Vista install disk to recover from the mess that Gateway's System Recovery made of my almost-new computer, but at least I didn't have to download drivers. I'm sure the sort of disaster I had is rare. My computer had one stick of defective RAM, which probably caused the OS death as well as all the other fun I had after. Just goes to show, though, anything can happen.

Burn all service pack and update software onto cd/dvd too, so you won't have to dl it again.

I also burn backups of major program installers and configurations as well. Rewritable CDs are nice for that.