Tree view, [+] symbol next to folder when no further branch

Discussion, questions and support.
JohnHardy

Tree view, [+] symbol next to folder when no further branch

#1 Post by JohnHardy » 10.05.2009, 04:05

I use FC with the tree view in the left pane, file view of a particular folder in the right pane. In the left pane, there is a [+] symbol in a small box to the left of most of the folders. I interpret this [+] symbol as meaning that there are one or more folders below this particular folder, in other words, there are one or more branches beyond this particular branch of the tree. But when I click on the [+] symbol, or double-click on the folder to expand the tree, there are many cases when there are no further branches that exist. I am already at the last folder or branch in the chain. In this situation, the small box with the [+] symbol disappears. If there actually IS a sub-folder, the [+] symbol changes to a [-] symbol to indicate that it is an open branch and the sub-folder is displayed.

Perhaps I misunderstand the function of the [+] symbol, but it seems to me that if there is no further branching beyond a particular folder, the [+] symbol should not be there. I waste a lot of time opening branches to search for further folders and files, only to discover that there is nothing there. False alarm.

So, what's the story with these [+] symbols? Thank you very much.

Wasabi

#2 Post by Wasabi » 18.05.2009, 08:24

It seems to be a bug. You can refresh the hierarchy (CTRL+R) at anytime and the empty folders will get the proper symbol.

JohnHardy

#3 Post by JohnHardy » 18.05.2009, 10:20

Thanks for the tip regarding [CTRL+R]. Hopefully they will fix the bug so this is not required. The bug has been around for a long time.

JohnHardy

#4 Post by JohnHardy » 20.11.2009, 04:48

Looks like the October 31, 2009 version of FreeCommander (2009.02a) does not include a fix for this problem. Does anyone know if this problem is being looked at and scheduled to be fixed?

Thank you.

Scott_Y

#5 Post by Scott_Y » 22.11.2009, 01:44

Add my vote for this to be fixed.

However, I think it may not be a bug per se. Some programs act this way, and others don't. So it may be a matter of what is available in the developer's library.

JohnHardy

#6 Post by JohnHardy » 22.11.2009, 04:16

However, I think it may not be a bug per se. Some programs act this way, and others don't. So it may be a matter of what is available in the developer's library.
The symbol "[+]" indicates that there is a branch to the tree structure, yet in many cases there is no branch. This is incorrect behavior. Call it a bug, call it whatever, it is incorrect behavior and it should be fixed.

The user should not be told that a branch exists when the branch does not exist. The user clicks on the branch symbol to see what branch folders exist, only to discover that no such branch exists. Over and over again.

This is basic stuff. It's like a donut shop that has no donuts, or no coffee. If a file management program can't figure out whether a branch exists or not, it is failing at a fundamental task.

Whatever the cause, it should be fixed.

Thank you.

JohnHardy

Re: Tree view, [+] symbol next to folder when no further bra

#7 Post by JohnHardy » 19.12.2010, 06:10

The 2009-02b version still has this problem. Does anyone know if this problem is being addressed? Thank you.