Color background based on file extensions

Discussion, questions and support.
xololt

Color background based on file extensions

#1 Post by xololt » 25.01.2011, 20:12

Hello,

In the menu "View -> Colors" different colors can be selected for various file extensions. Is it possible to change the background color of each file as well as the font color. This way each file type can have its own background and font colors. I have seen this option available in xplorer2 (full) and absolutely loved it, as it makes it easier to have sufficient contrast between several file types and still be able to read the filenames.

Is this possible somehow or should I make a feature request for this?

matera

Re: Color background based on file extensions

#2 Post by matera » 28.01.2011, 01:19

That is an interesting suggestion. I think it could be a very useful feature. It could make things easier for those of us with reduced vision.

That's how I picture it :)
Windows Vista 64-bit
Pentium E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz

xololt

#3 Post by xololt » 28.01.2011, 15:13

Exactly what I had in mind as well.

mr

#4 Post by mr » 08.02.2011, 17:02

I like that idea also.

Air_Cooled_Nut

#5 Post by Air_Cooled_Nut » 09.02.2011, 22:12

mr wrote:I like that idea also.
+1 :mrgreen:
OS: Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit; RAM: 8GB; Processor: Intel Core i7
I'd rather be riding my 2006 Ducati Sport Classic or cruising in my 1972 VW Squareback

Philip Goddard

#6 Post by Philip Goddard » 19.05.2011, 18:19

This is a facility that I have definitely been wanting all along. With only the text coloured, actually only a few colours can usefully be used, for otherwise various different filetypes tend to look too similarly coloured and thus the point of the colouration would be lost. With differently coloured backgrounds, for example, I could have one bg colour for all image files, then use different text colours for the different types of image file that I want to distinguish between - and the same again for sound and other media files. So, I see background colours by filetype as being an important feature, not a little 'frill'.

All that should present no problems for selected files, for all that is necessary is reversal of the colours. In cases where the reversed version isn't sufficiently readable, okay, then the user chooses a different combination so that it is readable when reversed - simple!

I do hope this feature will soon be implemented in XE.
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]