XE has great potential

Discussion and questions - donor version.
JohnFredC

XE has great potential

#1 Post by JohnFredC » 22.01.2011, 17:29

Just wanted to pop in here and say:

FreeCommander XE is a very promising beta release! Everyone who uses FreeCommander should appreciate the Herculean effort behind it...

It's a funny thing about file managers. Some developers want their file managers to behave (and look) only as they themselves would have the software behave and look (you know who you are!), implementing only a little UI customization for the users. But after 25+ years of using file managers, I find that my need to personalize the interface behavior and appearance for my own needs in many cases (though, naturally, not all) outweighs the need for the functionality enhancements that the "market leaders" have resorted to (in lieu of offering more user customization) in recent years.

The FreeCommander developer seems to have understood that fact and moved in a direction of more user customization rather than less,while also enhancing the basic functionality offered by the tool. This is an excellent approach!

Thank you Marek!
Mouse-centric

JohnFredC

Re: XE has great potential

#2 Post by JohnFredC » 31.01.2011, 22:42

For instance, the ability to assign any button to any toolbar... fantastic!
Mouse-centric

Philip Goddard

#3 Post by Philip Goddard » 19.05.2011, 18:03

What I find particularly helpful about this is that I've been able to tuck all the functionality that I would not normally want out of the way. I found the default layout in both XE and the older versions visually rather a mess, with too much distraction (for me!), but in both cases it has taken just a little careful configuration work to make the UI beautifully simple and focused, displaying just the controls that I actually want. For example, I find tabs distracting in a file manager, so, hey Presto!, I abolish them! If I want more panes I prefer to actually run another instance of FC. All that makes it so much quicker to use.
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]

matera

#4 Post by matera » 21.06.2011, 03:06

You guys hit some nails on the head there. That is exact;y why I have stuck with FC, giving Marek my spare beer money and neglecting the rest. I am at home in Free Commander; I can make it my own personal workspace.
Windows Vista 64-bit
Pentium E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz