view passive, dynamic / "Live" search

Discussion, questions and support.
RiffRaff

view passive, dynamic / "Live" search

#1 Post by RiffRaff » 25.02.2023, 22:48

Hi. I'm new to FC and would first like to thank Marek, the Admins, and everyone else who helped make this happen. The app is more useful than I'd imagined, and I intend to purchase a 64 bit license.

FC's feature-set is so rich, it's tweaked my imagination, and I'm now wondering it's possible to define a Search, and display results in a tab or panel, yet keep the search "live" so it updates as files returned per the Search's criteria are modified.
I know I can define a Search and save it as a Profile, and/or display output as links in a Container tab, but those links immediately becomes "stale", and aren't updated when underlying files / folders are modified. In other words, I want a visible "live" Search that's automatically updated on-the-fly.

Example:
1. Define a Search for all txt files in C:\Folder1\SubFolder\ recursively,
2. Save Search output to a panel, Container tab, or {?},
3. Add C:\Folder1\SubFolder\NewFile.txt. Add C:\Folder1\SubFolder\SubFolder2\NewFile2.txt. Delete C:\Folder1\SubFolder\OldFile.txt.
4. View output created in step 2 above, and see that it now (automatically) reflects file changes in step 3 without having to rerun the Search and repeat step 2.

If this isn't easily doable, might this sequence be accomplished with some type of "macro" or scripting? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: view passive, dynamic / "Live" search

#2 Post by Dreamer » 26.02.2023, 13:27

File container can't be used, because it contains just the specific files, it's just a list with the file paths and names.

Quick filter could be used:
- set this option in Settings > Quick search/filter/starter > Quick search/Quick filter > Quick filter: "[v] Keep filter on tab change"
- go to C:\Folder1\SubFolder\
- press Ctrl+B to enable plain view
- type .txt in the quick filter field
- lock tab (you can rename tab name, or even remove name and use a custom icon only, to make it smaller)

It works with some files, in the current folder and first subfolder, it does not work in second subfolder, it's updated with manual refresh only (Ctrl+R).

I'm not sure if it's a bug, but I found some issues, so I'll create a new topic, also the new topic with suggestions for auto refresh.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I forgot one step "- press Ctrl+B to enable plain view", added now.

RiffRaff

#3 Post by RiffRaff » 26.02.2023, 14:13

Thank you @Dreamer.
My first attempt wasn't successful. I'll post here again once I've had a chance to review the Quick search documentation and play around with it a bit.

My actual use-case involves dynamically retrieving files matching multiple extensions (ps1; bat; vbs) in two discreet folders (C:\Folder1\Subfolder\*, C:\Folder2\*), both searches to be recursive. {Ctr}{R} will be fine.
Even if your solution doesn't work for my specific case, I'm sure Quick search will come in handy in other circumstances - as I mentioned, I'm just getting to know the app, and feel like a kid in a candy store :)
Last edited by RiffRaff on 26.02.2023, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 26.02.2023, 14:35

You're welcome.

Perhaps you could move those folders to a single folder, if possible.

If not, you could use 2 FC instances, in 1 instance you could have 2 file containers next to each other, so you could watch both, of course, it's just a workaround.

Another workaround could be 2 tabs, you'd need to switch between them, but they should be auto refreshed on tab change, so it means no need to use Ctrl+R, you could use also a keyboard shortcut to switch last 2 tabs (Ctrl+PageUp by default, customizable).

EDIT: If you need to use refresh often, you can use the option "By double click on frees space" - "Refresh the list" in Settings > View > Fille/folder list.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 26.02.2023, 14:54

RiffRaff wrote: 26.02.2023, 14:13I'm just getting to know the app, and feel like a kid in a candy store :)
You can check the FAQ, link below and the topic FreeCommander XE "not so obvious" settings could be helpful.

BTW Make sure you're using the latest version, I hope so, your topic was in the wrong forum (FC old version), moved to correct forum.

RiffRaff

#6 Post by RiffRaff » 26.02.2023, 16:53

Thanks again, @Dreamer. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I've read through the very helpful (but slightly outdated) documentation for Quick search. FYI, in my instance (Build 880) it seems even the first level subfolder isn't filtered when using Quick search.

I did implement your suggestion:
> search D:\ (the drive with folders / subfolders I actually care about - not C:\),
> {Ctrl}+B,
> enter ".ps1;.bat;.vbs" in the filter field,
> lock the tab, and
> rename the tab as "Code"

Each time I select the "Code" tab, the filter's automatically applied, so this works perfectly. The only downsides are:
> I can't select specific folders under D:\ (or can I?),
> now I need to either modify Quick search settings to not "Keep filter on tab change", or
> remember to manually remove the filter each time I'm through with the "Code" tab

Can't have my cake and eat it too, I guess. Still, this goes a long way.

Your suggestion of using icon only also helped solve an unrelated issue, enabling more panel tabs (on a small screen) without spilling over to a second row. 8)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 26.02.2023, 17:56

First another hint, if you have larger display resolution, also the option "Use large images" for tab icons could help, it's easier to click when using just icons, without tab names.

Take a look at the Filter too:

https://freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Setfilter.html

RiffRaff

#8 Post by RiffRaff » 27.02.2023, 03:43

Thanks for the hints / links, Dreamer. I know I'm still scratching the surface, but am impressed at the depth of features within FC.

Some of the "not so obvious" settings are interesting, but I'll need to bookmark this for a time when I'm more familiar with the app.

It turns out that Quick search, as defined above, didn't work well for me, as the filters impacted every other tab in the panel, which then had to have their filters be individually switched off. If I then go and refilter "Code", it re-applies the filter to the tab on the left of "Code" (seems strange). Likewise, if I use a Quick search in another tab, that impacts the "Code" tab. I tried messing with the settings (e.g., Keep filter tab on change) but that didn't seem to help.

The reusable filter feature, however, seems to be immediately useful, and filters the tab without impacting others - excellent :!:
Last edited by RiffRaff on 09.03.2023, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#9 Post by Dreamer » 09.03.2023, 18:19

First, it's probably not needed, but it's better to use non-temporary file container, in Settings > View > Folder Tabs > File Container Tab - Create File containers folder, use safe path, not any temp folder or Program Files folder.

- enable this option in Settings > Quick search/filter/starter > Quick search/Quick filter > Quick filter: "[v] Keep filter on tab change"
- disable this option in Settings > Quick search/filter/starter > Quick search/Quick filter > Quick filter: "[ ] Keep filter on folder change"
- create new file container tab
- copy the folder D:\Folder1\SubFolder and D:\Folder 2\SubFolder21\SubFolder211 to file container tab *
- press Ctrl+B to enable plain view
- type .txt in the quick filter field
- lock file container tab (you can rename tab name, or even remove name and use a custom icon only, to make it smaller)

* here it's possible to use any number of folders

If any .txt file is created or deleted, it's updated automatically in the file container tab, other panel.

RiffRaff

#10 Post by RiffRaff » 10.03.2023, 14:30

Thank you Dreamer.

I see you've posted the same response in a feature enhancement request I submitted, which I appreciate.

I have trouble with quick search, as it tends to "stick" and apply the same search criteria to every other tab in the panel. If I modify the quick search - i.e., in another tab - it once again sticks, and invalidates criteria in the Container tab. Am I doing something wrong here?

In my case, all the txt files of interest have the same base root - e.g., D:\ - so I'm able to use a workaround of selecting the root folder, {Ctrl}+B, then applying a pre-defined filter (Folder > Filter > Set filter), then locking the tab.

Best,
-Safron

Dreamer
Site Admin

#11 Post by Dreamer » 10.03.2023, 19:22

You're welcome.

I updated previous post, additional step is needed:
- disable this option in Settings > Quick search/filter/starter > Quick search/Quick filter > Quick filter: "[ ] Keep filter on folder change"
This way even different quick filters can be used for each tab, even no filter.

RiffRaff

#12 Post by RiffRaff » 10.03.2023, 21:50

Thank you again Dreamer. I'll give it a try and see how it compares to the current workaround.