"Live", dynamic search as tab / panel

Suggestions and feature requests.
RiffRaff

"Live", dynamic search as tab / panel

#1 Post by RiffRaff » 27.02.2023, 17:52

I know I can define a Search, save it as a Profile, and/or display output as links in a Container tab, but those links immediately becomes "stale", and aren't updated when underlying files / folders are modified. In other words, I'm looking for a visible "live" Search that's automatically updated on-the-fly.
With the help of @Dreamer, I've played around with Quick search, which didn't accomplish what I needed, and Folder Filters which get the job done, but only for a single path, recursively - e.g., files in D:\Folder1\*.*

Example:
1. Define a Search for all .txt files in D:\Folder1\SubFolder\, and D:\Folder 2 recursively,
2. Save Search output to a panel, Container tab, or {?},

3. If:
> a new file is added - e.g., D:\Folder1\SubFolder\NewFile.txt, and
> an old file is deleted - e.g., D:\Folder 2\SubFolder21\SubFolder211\DeletedFile.txt

4. Output created in step 2 above would automatically (or with {Ctrl}+R) reflect file changes in step 3 without having to rerun the Search and repeat step 2.

Forez

Re: "Live", dynamic search as tab / panel

#2 Post by Forez » 09.03.2023, 16:16

Good idea

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: "Live", dynamic search as tab / panel

#3 Post by Dreamer » 09.03.2023, 18:18

I just found, that it's probably already possible, I'll add this also to the original post, please let me know, if it works for you.

First, it's probably not needed, but it's better to use non-temporary file container, in Settings > View > Folder Tabs > File Container Tab - Create File containers folder, use safe path, not any temp folder or Program Files folder.

- enable this option in Settings > Quick search/filter/starter > Quick search/Quick filter > Quick filter: "[v] Keep filter on tab change"
- disable this option in Settings > Quick search/filter/starter > Quick search/Quick filter > Quick filter: "[ ] Keep filter on folder change"
- create new file container tab
- copy the folder D:\Folder1\SubFolder and D:\Folder 2\SubFolder21\SubFolder211 to file container tab *
- press Ctrl+B to enable plain view
- type .txt in the quick filter field
- lock file container tab (you can rename tab name, or even remove name and use a custom icon only, to make it smaller)

* here it's possible to use any number of folders

If any .txt file is created or deleted, it's updated automatically in the file container tab, other panel.