Migration from Public to Donor

Discussion and questions - donor version.
RiffRaff

Migration from Public to Donor

#1 Post by RiffRaff » 27.02.2023, 20:51

Hello
I'd like to move to Donor from Public, and ensure my current configuration (e.g., layouts, settings, color schemes, etc.) are retained. Can someone please refer me to a link(s) that walks through this process?

Some questions which come to mind (if they're not covered in the links):

> Should the Public (32 bit) version first be uninstalled (after settings backed up, of course) before installing the Donor (64 bit) version?
> Are the install paths identical by default - i.e., would the Donor install just overwrite the Public install?
> Is there any practical reason to install the Donor version and also retain the Public version?

> Should I just overwrite files in ...\AppData\Local\FreeCommanderXE\Settings with versions backed up from the Public version? Are there any files that might create issues and/or are unnecessary and should *not* be overridden (e.g., FreeCommander.hist.ini)?

> Is there anything special I need to do to enable installation on both, my desktop and laptop? How is this controlled?

> Other considerations?

Thank you.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Migration from Public to Donor

#2 Post by Marek » 27.02.2023, 21:09

Should the Public (32 bit) version first be uninstalled (after settings backed up, of course) before installing the Donor (64 bit) version?
Don't have to.
Are the install paths identical by default - i.e., would the Donor install just overwrite the Public install?
No.
Is there any practical reason to install the Donor version and also retain the Public version?
No.
Should I just overwrite files in ...\AppData\Local\FreeCommanderXE\Settings with versions backed up from the Public version? Are there any files that might create issues and/or are unnecessary and should *not* be overridden (e.g., FreeCommander.hist.ini)?
You can overrwrite all files.
Is there anything special I need to do to enable installation on both, my desktop and laptop? How is this controlled?
No. You can use FreeCommander on all your PCs.
Other considerations?
Use the function "Tools->Backup all settings" for public version and then "Tools->Restore all settings" for the 64 bit version.
Consider, to use the portable zip version.

RiffRaff

#3 Post by RiffRaff » 28.02.2023, 01:41

Thank you (again) Marek. Very helpful as always!
I didn't know there was a portable version, and will certainly add this to my utility USB.

Best regards,
- Safron

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 10.03.2023, 14:02

What is worth adding is this:

There can only be one instance of file freecommander.exe running.

And so if for whatever reason a user wants to run two versions at the same time [e.g. to immediately compare them by switching between them with ALT+TAB], then then a user must rename one of its FC EXE files in [or create its copy]

[This topic should be made sticky at the top of this section of forum]

horst.epp

#5 Post by horst.epp » 10.03.2023, 14:35

Forez wrote: 10.03.2023, 14:02 What is worth adding is this:

There can only be one instance of file freecommander.exe running.

And so if for whatever reason a user wants to run two versions at the same time [e.g. to immediately compare them by switching between them with ALT+TAB], then then a user must rename one of its FC EXE files in [or create its copy]

[This topic should be made sticky at the top of this section of forum]
That setting is no problem as you can always add new tabs to the running instance
using /c /t command line switches.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 11.03.2023, 14:13

horst.epp wrote: 10.03.2023, 14:35 That setting is no problem as you can always add new tabs to the running instance
using /c /t command line switches.
I think you have misunderstood me, as I was referring to switching between 2 instances / windows of FC thus 2 [e.g.] set of hypothetical bugs affecting display of FC - and not 2 Panels and / or 2 Tabs

Or it is me who has misunderstood your answer

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 11.03.2023, 17:59

Forez wrote: 10.03.2023, 14:02There can only be one instance of file freecommander.exe running.
This is wrong, of course, any number of freecommander.exe can be running, just running 3.
fc exedel.png
fc exedel.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Make sure, the option "Allow only one instance" in Settings > General is disabled in each instance, close all instances and re-start again.

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 11.03.2023, 19:16

Dreamer wrote: 11.03.2023, 17:59 [...]
any number of freecommander.exe can be running
[...]
Make sure, the option "Allow only one instance" in Settings > General is disabled in each instance, close all instances and re-start again.
This check out

My mistake