simple tips (I hope they are useful)

Discussion and questions - donor version.
prov

simple tips (I hope they are useful)

#1 Post by prov » 06.12.2012, 15:19

First of all, thank you very much: FreeCommander is a good program, and most importantly it is free.
Personally I like 2xEplorer (the old version free insurmountable, but on 64-bit systems - unfortunately - has some problems, especially when opening a folder).

Well ... with 0.0.0.609 we are approaching a excellent version. But ... could do more.

For example:
1) In folder tree you can see right, bat why the custom icons of folders are not displayed in the panels ? This is a very tedious.
2) Why the context menu (right click) is different from the usual (there are many fewer features) ? Also this is a very tedious.
3) Why the configuration of functions accessible with the right mouse button - made with other software - it is not acknowledged by FcCommander?
4) Why to edit the address bar you have to use ALT+G or right mouse button and then select the option? You may do this click with the left mouse button (it would be very useful to speed up this function, and also this is a very tedious).

And then there are other little things that I could suggest. I hope I have been helpful.

Thank you ...
__
From Italy

BGM

Re: simple tips (I hope they are useful)

#2 Post by BGM » 06.12.2012, 21:10

1) In folder tree you can see right, bat why the custom icons of folders are not displayed in the panels ? This is a very tedious.
You have to enable the option to see the custom icons (maybe it should be ON by default?). Go to Tools > Settings > View > Tree > Management (tab) and make sure you have checked the box for "Show overlay icons (SVN). If you want the icons for your devices, go to Tools > Settings > View > File/folder list > Icons (tab) and make sure you have selected Fixed : Extracted, Removeable: Registered, and perhaps Optical (CD/DVD): Extracted.
2) Why the context menu (right click) is different from the usual (there are many fewer features) ? Also this is a very tedious.
3)Why the configuration of functions accessible with the right mouse button - made with other software - it is not acknowledged by FcCommander?
Are you referring to items you would normally get in the Windows Explorer context menu? What items are you missing? Are you referring to the editing menus for the toolbars? What do you mean when you say your context menu is different? Different from what?

4) Why to edit the address bar you have to use ALT+G or right mouse button and then select the option? You may do this click with the left mouse button (it would be very useful to speed up this function, and also this is a very tedious).
The left button by default gives you a popup menu of the addressbar's history.
It also gives you (if the option is set) the ability to hover over the sections with a "hot button" that works like a breadcrumb.

You can also edit the "addressbar toolbar" for the addressbar - there are buttons for:
  • Edit Address Bar which lets you immediately begin editing the addressbar
  • Copy path as text which copies the addressbar path to the clipboard - you can choose from various formats
  • Edit address bar from clipboard which pastes the clipboard contents onto the address bar
If anyone is interested, I have added this info to the FreeCommander Dokuwiki.
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)

Karol

#3 Post by Karol » 07.12.2012, 08:05

Click with the middle mouse button in the free area of the address bar or on the last folder name.

prov

#4 Post by prov » 10.12.2012, 10:05

Karol wrote:
Click with the middle mouse button in the free area of the address bar or on the last folder name.
Thanks for the information ... I never thought the middle button!

prov

#5 Post by prov » 10.12.2012, 10:16

BGM wrote:
You have to enable the option to see the custom icons (maybe it should be ON by default?). Go to Tools > Settings > View > Tree > Management (tab) and make sure you have checked the box for "Show overlay icons (SVN). If you want the icons for your devices, go to Tools > Settings > View > File/folder list > Icons (tab) and make sure you have selected Fixed : Extracted, Removeable: Registered, and perhaps Optical (CD/DVD): Extracted.
Thanks to you...
Also I think it would be useful to the default representation of icons like Windows.
Maybe it will be so in a future release?

About the parameters to see the icons as they really are I had to set "Extracted" all options (other combinations produce different results).

prov

#6 Post by prov » 10.12.2012, 10:24

BGM wrote:
If anyone is interested, I have added this info to the FreeCommander Dokuwiki.
Thanks, I feel great thing to share this information.

prov

#7 Post by prov » 11.12.2012, 10:14

x BGM
prov wrote:Are you referring to items you would normally get in the Windows Explorer context menu? What items are you missing? Are you referring to the editing menus for the toolbars? What do you mean when you say your context menu is different? Different from what?
Sorry, I do not know how to attach images that would explain better what I mean.

The context menu you get with the right mouse button is the same as Windows Explorer (seven), but it is not what you get with other file management software that is much more complete and feature-rich (all those that I expect to find).

With additional software (for example Right Click Enhancer by RBsoft) can be integrated in the context menu of software that they lose some of the functions of the right mouse button, but FreeCommander ignore it.

The management of the context menu is a sensitive issue and it is too useful to do without.
Have you any suggestions about?

Thanks... (grazie!)

BGM

#8 Post by BGM » 11.12.2012, 15:47

The context menu you get with the right mouse button is the same as Windows Explorer (seven), but it is not what you get with other file management software that is much more complete and feature-rich (all those that I expect to find).
I guess you got me on that one. I use FreeCommander and sometimes Q-Dir. Q-Dir only has a couple of items in the context menu, such as "copy file path", "open in new tab" and "duplicate tab". In FC, you can get just about anything you can think of via the toolbars or the interface. I add the most common items to the splitterbar, such as copy, move, rename, create new folder, create new file, copy filename... Those commands are always there. But if you just right-click on file/folder items in the panel, what would you expect to see? Now, if you start a drag-n-drop operation with a file or folder using the right-mouse button, THEN you will get FC's context menu. As for "duplicate tab", you just double-click on the empty area of the tab-bar - there is no need for that to clutter up the context menu. Likewise, you don't need "open in new tab" - you just drag the folder onto the tabbar.

Now, in Tools > Settings > File/folder operations > Drag&Drop(tab), there is an option for "Show popup menu for left button drop", in case you like to drag-n-drop items with the left mouse button.

So, what do you think might be missing?
With additional software (for example Right Click Enhancer by RBsoft) can be integrated in the context menu of software that they lose some of the functions of the right mouse button, but FreeCommander ignore it.
I use File-Menu Tools and KU-Shell Extension (which lets you create ANY command you want) and both of those work perfectly. However, if Right-Click Enhancer is 64bit, you need to make sure your 64bit context menu is not disabled. I started to write a bit about this in the DokuWiki (I know the DokuWiki is sparse right now, but that will improve with time :) ).
(Windows 10-1909 Professional 64bit)